Transitioning, Little by Little

I’ve written several times about how Vivian would only sleep in her hammock. It started because of her horrible reflux. When we were in hospital, Vivian would hardly sleep. She would scream and scream. Nurses would come from other NICU rooms to try to help soothe her, because being the biggest baby there meant that she was also the loudest. We found a Nature’s Sway hammock in the NICU hallway and have never looked back. Luckily we had already purchased one for home when I was pregnant, to put in the lounge. Little did we know it would be Vivian’s preferred place of slumber.

You may have noticed in the first picture of my last post, Vivian was asleep in her crib! This is not a fluke. Ben has been working very hard over the past two weeks and Vivian now has most of her day naps in the cot, with her Baby Shusher and Ben’s phone, which has a looping app playing me singing “Twinkle, twinkle, little star” over and over.

I know that sounds absolutely terrifying (it is; my singing is really bad), but for some reason Vivian likes white noise to get to sleep now. We are going with it. If anything, it’s helped the transition of sleeping while bouncing to sleeping while being still, because the constant that has remained is the white noise.

The important thing is that she’s actually sleeping outside of her hammock and his is a huge step for us.

We aren’t pushing it with Vivian’s night sleep, but we plan on trying it again soon.

Unfortunately she will still only eat while swaddled, either in the hammock or the crib (we have her on an incline in the crib). I did discover that she will sometimes eat randomly for me in other places – the car seat, while sitting back on my feather pillows, etc. Anything where she is in a semi-sitting position seems to be game, but only if she is hungry enough, and it is never a feed as good as it could be if she was in the hammock. With us being so concerned about her weight gain, we have again just gone with it.

Now that she is eating a lot better, we can start transitioning her eating habits to back in arms (hopefully) or at least out of the hammock and into a bean bag or sitting up in a more upright position.

The main reason we need to do this is because she’s not going to fit in the hammock much longer! She really is getting long. Our little girl is growing up.

From this:

Vivian 2 months old in her hammock

To this:

Vivian Made with Love

This picture is about two months old now, but it’s one of my favorite pictures of her at the moment. I love this smile.

But that’s not even the most exciting news that has happened this week!

Since we’ve had the corner seat for Vivian, and the table bit that goes with it, we have watched Vivian try to bring toys up to her mouth a bit more. We decided to try giving her some yogurt to see if she’d get any in her mouth, and boy did she ever!

She loved it. We are over the moon about this. Last time we tried feeding her some kumera (like sweet potato) and she didn’t like it very much. It’s one of those things the pediatrician said we should just wait a month and try again.

Check out this video!

Though she isn’t ready to grab food and turn her wrists to get it in her mouth with a proper pincer grasp, she is at least licking the yogurt off of her hands, which is awesome. She has never really noticed when we eat like other babies would, so she’s had no real interest in anything other than her bottle and even then she doesn’t acknowledge the bottle unless you brush her cheek or mouth with it. Now we know she will enjoy tasting some new things in the near future and maybe we can get her eating some high-healthy fat smoothies or similar, as a start on real food one day.

Baby steps! But so very exciting!

1. Leah Hunter
    Mar 14, 2015 @ 03:14:12

WhoHoo!!!

2. Stella's Mommy
    Mar 14, 2015 @ 05:13:45

Yay!

3. mrsstaceydodd
    Mar 14, 2015 @ 11:03:01

What a lovely video. Thank you for sharing. She sure enjoyed that yoghurt!
    Also, from another post you mentioned CVI and that you were going to contact the ophthalmologist again regarding this. For a diagnosis of CVI you need a physical and functional eye assessment. The ophthalmologist provides the physical examination and then BLENNZ provides the functional assessment. They come to you and try out all sorts of different stimuli to see what Viv can see and what her eyes are doing when exposed to the different stimuli. They were really fantastic! I think that your ophthalmologist should refer you or otherwise I think you can contact them yourself. Let me know if you have any questions. Also on YouTube, there is a really good video by Dr Roman Lansky and the different characteristics of CVI. It’s on my blog somewhere I think. Take care xo

• Gwen
      Mar 14, 2015 @ 12:42:55

Thank you for telling me about BLENNZ! Nobody has mentioned them before now, not even our therapy team or pediatrician. That pisses me off to no end, honestly.

I will try to get our ophthalmologist to give us a referral for an assessment.

Hope you and Thomas are having a good weekend!

• mrsstaceydodd
        Mar 14, 2015 @ 13:28:50

I’m sorry that it hasn’t been mentioned, most especially by your ophthalmologist. I’m not surprised that the therapy team or Pediatrician haven’t mentioned it as BLENNZ is very much it’s own entity and does not affiliate with hospitals etc from my own experience. It totally comes down to the therapist or doctors and whether they have been in contact with or know of BLENNZ. Our therapist happened to know about BLENNZ and they also do not communicate unless the therapists happen to know each other somehow. It’s quite disjointed which is not comforting for any parent. Check out their website and see if you can make your own referral. By the way, I love Viv’s glasses! We have been told Thomas will be getting some this year sometime to see if it might aide at all with a possible refractive error. So darn cute!!!!

• Gwen
        Mar 14, 2015 @ 21:26:51

Vivian’s pair is to help fix a strabismus – hopefully it will work or we may have to look at surgery when she’s closer to one. So far the only time she’ll tolerate the glasses on is if she’s sitting up. I hope Thomas likes them better than she does! It seems like every waking moment there is something we’re working on with Vivian. It’s hard to just let her be a baby. I am sure it’s the same with Thomas. Big hugs for you guys!

• mrsstaceydodd
        Mar 14, 2015 @ 21:36:16

Totally get what you’re saying about letting them just be a bubba! With all the interruptions it leaves not much time or energy! I’m just thankful that we’re not in hospital at the moment. It’s been a shocking last two months!
        Can’t wait to get Thomas his glasses but I bet he’ll need time to get used to them too. He’s a bit funny with anything new.
        Take care xo