New life, in more ways than one

Forgive me bloggers, for I have disappeared. It has been over a year since my last post.

And so much in my life has changed. The past year has been an absolute whirlwind of change, and I welcomed it with open arms.

My job in Wellington ended in May last year. Thanks to a wonderful woman I used to work for, I was blessed to begin two part-time jobs in Christchurch, to make up one full-time job. For the first three months after my job ended, I lived in Christchurch and Ben stayed in Wellington with our lovely kitties until our lease there ended.

Ben and the kitties joined me in July, when we were lucky to find a reasonably priced rental in Christchurch among horrible rising rent prices. So many houses were damaged or demolished due to the earthquakes, which has resulted in a shortage of affordable housing here. It’s not a spacious house, by any means; it’s about half the size of our home on the Kapiti Coast, and only $30 cheaper per week, but it’s a good little house.

Ben found a new job as well and life for us resumed the familiarity that we once knew; we were home again.

While we were up north, I was on my way to being diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I had started that journey before we left Christchurch in 2012, but it took forever to find a doctor’s office that was accepting new patients on the Kapiti Coast/in Wellington. I picked it up again when I returned to Christchurch. My very first blood tests pointed to the possibility of me actually being pregnant, which hadn’t happened on its own even though we hadn’t been preventing pregnancy for over two years. Ben and I really thought it wasn’t possible for us to conceive naturally at that point, but alas, we finally did it!

We built dreams and hopes for the new life I was busy growing. We planned and prepared. We were so ready. We had been waiting for this for so long.

In June 2014, our family grew by two tiny feet when our daughter was born. Her birth story and journey thus far will come in another post, one that I desperately need to write for myself.

For now, I am amazed at how quickly days blur into nights and back to days again. And at how well I am surviving on naps (reminding me of my days as a breakfast chef). And how astonishing it is that I can love someone so fiercely that I’ve only known for two months. And how lucky I am to have such a devoted husband, who is becoming the most wonderful father to Vivian.

Vivian

What’s new in your world?

1. Rilla
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 00:30:44

She is so beautiful! And that’s a fantastic photo of her, too. I’m looking forward to reading how things are going :) I’ve wanted to do this again too but haven’t gotten around to it, I’m glad you are! Sending love your way across the oceans!

• Gwen
      Aug 05, 2014 @ 00:32:54

Thank you for reading! It’s a scary thing, blog writing. I always get really paranoid about what I’ve written: have I said too much? Will people think I’m being dramatic? Is my post too rambly? At the end of the day I have to realize it really doesn’t matter. If people want to read it, they will and if they don’t, they won’t! But blogging is really therapeutic for me, and I can’t afford proper counselling at the moment.

2. April
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 04:24:01

Congratulations, Gwen!! It’s so good to hear from you, especially with wonderful news. She is such a beautiful girl!

We have been pretty busy with legal stuff. Back to court for custody in two weeks, after dozens of violations by the other party. It’s a mess.

3. gardeningkiwi
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 07:09:59

Oh Gwen, how lovely. Enjoy your wee girl. She is a poppet! They grow way too fast so soak up every minute, not matter how tired you feel. Congratulations to you both.
    Cheers Sarah : o )

4. Gabbi
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 11:53:16

You seriously have a very beautiful baby Gwen! Such big eyes <3. I'm glad you're in a space with a lot of love (:

5. Brent Watson
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 16:14:07

She is sooooo cute. She is an extremely luck little girl to have two loving and caring parents. With parents like you and Ben she is going to have a fantastic loving life. Its great to have your blog back again and sorry I haven’t been in touch.

6. Leah Hunter
    Aug 09, 2014 @ 03:39:36

Gwen, so good that you are doing this. You and Adam have the writing thing and I love it