January 2012 Bloom Day

It’s the 15th!  For some folks, it’s pay-day.  For me, it’s Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day, kindly hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens :)

This is the most exciting Bloom Day I’ve ever experienced!

Some things are coming to an end in the raised garden beds — the peas look like they’re about done, and the marigolds are being heavily deadheaded, but other things are still on the up and go.  It’s been pretty warm here (for New Zealand, anyway) so trying to keep on top of the watering with the water restrictions we’ve got in Christchurch have been hard on everyone.

Fiery marigolds

More marigolds

Lemon blooms

The new lemon tree Ben’s parents gave me has so many blooms on it! They smell so good!  I’m not sure whether to leave them or to pinch them off though.  There are so many, and it already has fruit as well.

Meyer lemons

My coriander’s going to seed! Will plant some more shortly.  It’s so easy to grow, and even easier to eat! :)

I spotted the first flower on my capsicums!  Exciting.  I wonder what kind it will be — I ordered a ‘rainbow mix’ of tomatoes and capsicums.

I know he’s not a bloom, but I thought he was pretty, so Sir Jumpsalot gets to be in this post.  I thought he was going to jump on me several times — he kept following my movements and then turning towards me lol.

Some kind of cute bug in a rose! :) Some weird things have been popping up in Ms. Chameleon’s foliage lately…

And that’s why today has been so exciting! :) Ben finally asked me to marry him.  Or in his words, “make it official,” because he’s considered me his wife for quite some time already.

What’s blooming in your garden (or life)?

1. Madeleine - nzecochick
    Jan 15, 2012 @ 18:52:58

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Woohoo so excited for you guys. What a beautiful ring. I love how you have shared this with us just sneaking it in there! Please pass on my congrats and love to Ben too of course. My garden photos will look heaps like yours ha ha. Thanks so much for the reminder I had totally forgotten what day it is. Will do my post now too. Cant wait to see you M xx

Jan 15, 2012 @ 20:18:20

Thank you! :D Can’t wait to see your garden pics! Still not sure when I’ll be in Welly yet, but as soon as I know, will let you know!

2. promenadeplantings
    Jan 15, 2012 @ 23:49:36

Fantastic and many many congratulations for the blooms and the planned marriage :)

3. Lea's Menagerie
    Jan 15, 2012 @ 23:51:55

Lovely flowers!
    Beautiful ring – congratulations!
    Lea

4. elitrope
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 01:33:43

Congratulations and what beautiful blooms!

5. Amy Thorstad
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 02:20:58

Love the blog, love the ring, and I’m so happy for you!!!

Jan 16, 2012 @ 02:48:43

I am so happy for you both, Fiance too!! Also- uber jealous of how your lemon tree is looking!

Jan 17, 2012 @ 13:43:47

Tell Fiance we said thank you! <3 <3 The lemon tree is so tiny, srsly! I need to pinch off some of the baby lemons to give it a chance, I think.

7. Kerri
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 04:53:21

CONGRATS!!!! Beautiful roses and even more stunning a ring! I have to say I am very envious of the colour in your garden – I am at the moment watching the snow drift (about -25 degrees with a wind chill of -32 here) while I wait rather impatiently for my coffee to brew.

Excited for you to start your “official” journey ;-)

Jan 17, 2012 @ 13:42:51

Summer will be gone here all too soon, and then headed back to your end of the world! :) I hope you’re bundled up nice and warm!

8. HolleyGarden
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 06:00:49

Oh, I was just admiring your blooms – but when I saw your ring I got so thrilled for you! That’s the best GBBD bloom yet! Congratulations!

9. mattisalomaki
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 06:32:33

I was so taken back by your blooms that I almost missed the ring. Hey…congrats! It’s gonna be a great year. Matti

10. Alana Mautone (@RamblinGarden)
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 12:33:34

The ring was the best part of the post. Congratulations! I have summer envy after reading your post – especially after seeing the lemon tree, which would be completely impossible for me (upstate New York) to grow except indoors. I’m glad you are continuing to participate in GBBD: have a great summer!

Jan 17, 2012 @ 13:41:39

The lemon tree’s flowers finally opened yesterday! You should definitely grow one! Apparently the Meyer variety can be grown indoors!

11. Larry
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 12:42:46

Hmmm… warm colors in the garden… wow… just beautiful! …and a hearty congratulations from me as well! Larry

12. Emma - Craving Fresh
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 22:11:44

Te he he. That’s gorgeous. I love how you snuck that photo in at the end there. Congratulations lovely lady. How sweet that he already considers you his wife. I hope we’ll be getting all the wedding planning deets on here now. xx

Jan 17, 2012 @ 13:40:14

Thank you! I don’t think there’ll be much to planning our wedding — we’re probably going to have a courthouse wedding or a super tiny private ceremony with Ben’s parents there.

13. Lily
    Jan 23, 2012 @ 17:40:59

I am very late here, but had to comment. Lovely garden shots as always, but that ring of yours definitely outshines them. Just gorgeous. Congratulations gwen! So happy for you.