A snapshot sort of Sunday

I know I haven’t posted much this week, but hopefully next week will be different! Definitely feeling better now.

Things are really taking off in my garden, whether I feel good or not! I look back on pictures of only couple weeks ago and things are so much bigger than they were before.  I guess when you see it everyday, you don’t notice the change that much.

Marigolds

I love, love, love these marigolds.  Not all of the ones I have are this kind and I have no idea what they are, but they’re so fiery!

Stuff is bigger!

See?  Stuff is really bigger!  I’m not making this up.  I need to get some more potting mix so I can put those tall tomatoes in their own big pots where they’ll be nice and happy.

Cystal Apple Cucumber

My smallest crystal apple cucumber plant is trying to get going already, and she’s not even planted in a garden bed yet!  Well, she wasn’t when I took this picture.  I had a head of lettuce mysteriously wilt on me suddenly, so the cucumbers got that spot!

Royal gala apple tree

And look at this little guy! He’s almost doubled his height in a few weeks.  Good work, Mr. Appletree!

MMMM yum.

My strawberry plants seem very happy, too.  I should be able to pick these in a couple days!  Strawberry shortcake, here I come.  You know those little sponge cake cups you can buy to make strawberry shortcake in the US?  Can’t find them here.  Guess I’ll have to make my own somehow…or maybe I’ll do cupcakes.  I’m starting to drool just thinking about it.

The first flower!

I saved the best picture for last (in my opinion, anyway).  My first nemophilia flower opened yesterday!  I watched the flower bud over a few hours and the last time I checked on it, it had opened!  Since then, a few more have opened up in that tire and in the back, there are a few out there, too!  I’m so excited :)  They’re so dainty.  I know I crowded them pretty badly in the tires, but I’m hoping that the tires are deep enough for them to forgive me.

How are your gardens looking? If it’s winter where you are, I hope you’re snuggled up nice and warm!

1. Bridget
    Dec 04, 2011 @ 20:23:45

Heading into hibernation mode here in Ireland!

2. Emma - Craving Fresh
    Dec 04, 2011 @ 22:29:24

It all looks so lovely. We picked a couple of strawberries this week and a raspberry. So fun! I’ve been planting marigolds around the place too. They add such a nice splash of colour, as well has helping deter pests. I love them.

Dec 14, 2011 @ 12:10:50

I love marigolds. They’re a humble little flower, but they’re amazing. I love the smell of them when you take the dead heads off to encourage more flowers, too.

3. aprilvak
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 10:11:32

Those strawberries look great, and the nemophilia is so beautiful!! I love your garden.

4. Carolina HeartStrings
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 14:23:46

You are such a good mommy to your plants! As for the spongy little cakes (truly often sold in the produce aisle next to the strawberries) you could probably try angel food cake. That is probably an American thing too. If they don’t sell the cake in the bakery, or the cake mix in the baking aisle you can make it from scratch. It takes a lot of egg whites. Google and you’ll see. Happy growing and harvesting!

Dec 14, 2011 @ 12:09:49

Ben found a really light plain sponge that is alright — it’s super sweet, though! I don’t remember those little cake cups being so sweet. Will have to look for some recipes like you suggested!

Dec 06, 2011 @ 09:50:39

So pretty. Can I have some strawberries? Please?! I miss the sun. Cleveland has a permanent sad cloud over it.

6. teri
    Dec 08, 2011 @ 16:22:59

Your marigolds and nemophilia are gorgeous!