Windy Welly

I’m writing this from my manager’s dining room because I’m in Wellington at the moment!  It’s been a really lovely trip so far, even if it did start out really bumpy :)  Our landing yesterday was a true ‘Wellington’ landing — very shaky with the plane swaying its wingtips from side to side at an alarming rate.

Apparently if a pilot can land a plane in Wellington on a windy day, they can pretty much land the plane anywhere!

Trinity the catIt was cold and rainy yesterday, just like in Christchurch, but today was absolutely stunning — the sun was shining and the wind was very well-behaved.  I can’t complain, really!  And there are two resident kitties here that are very friendly, too.

My manager’s husband is the awesome guy I bought my raised garden beds from, and when I got here there was a new model for me to see!  It’s actually inspired by one my step-dad built my Mom many years ago.

If I had room for one of these in our front yard, I would so get one!

Stacking raised garden beds

Pretty nifty, don’t you think?  There’s nine compartments in all to plant in — the main one up top, and four each on the lower levels.  I think heaps of strawberries would look great in one of these for someone!

BasilOr perhaps different lettuces in each part, or a mix of herbs and other plants like they have here.  There are tomatoes in the top of this one with basil, parsley, chives, and thyme in the smaller compartments, along with a couple of small courgette plants and a capsicum plant.

If only I had more room.  It’s hard not to want more plants in your garden.  This I know.

I called Ben today and he swears he watered everything!  We shall see when I get home, lol.  I do miss him & the kitties.

Do you ever wish you had more room for plants in your garden?

Nov 22, 2011 @ 22:09:36

Wow I love it!! I saw that the chch botanical gardens has a beautifiul one like this too. I am taking over huge parts of my section for more garden for food! iI think I”ll never have enough room! Next time you’re in welly let me know I would so love to meet up and have coffee!!!

2. Bridget
    Nov 23, 2011 @ 06:14:42

Fab! An idea I might have to copy. Well, I’ll show it to Andy and he can copy!

3. Lena Bug
    Nov 23, 2011 @ 10:48:02

I wish I had more than just a tiny balcony to grow herbs on. I’m planning on getting some hanging herb pots that I spotted in a gardening shop! I’m going to move my little herbs over (if they survive the summer here) and also plant some corriander and Basil. In a few other pots I want to grow some lavender and rosemary…they should do a little better than the wimpy herbs.

See? You’re inspiring me to garden!

4. Emma - Craving Fresh
    Nov 23, 2011 @ 13:25:13

That is such a cool garden. Does he build them himself?

Was nice seeing you today. Did you have any of Paul’s pie? He made me mini strawberry ones so I’m a happy camper, even if I just had to wash up the millions of dishes he left behind. (He’s not a tidy cook. More like a tornado swirling around the kitchen.)

Nov 23, 2011 @ 14:24:31

It was awesome seeing you again, too!

I haven’t tried the strawberry one yet, but the lime one was amazing. Seriously the best pie I’ve had in years! He told us it was an old family recipe that had been passed down through generations….and then I asked him which family’s recipe, lol!

Thank you for cleaning up after his tornado-ness! The whole office really appreciates a pie day, and it was my first time being here during a pie day!

Nov 24, 2011 @ 23:12:13

I forgot to also say that John does build these garden beds! He’s got a trademeshop, and also sells compost bins, steps, trestle tables and other wooden goods!

5. Mariah
    Nov 24, 2011 @ 06:45:16

Hello, I check your new stuff on a regular basis. Your humoristic style is witty, keep up the good work!
    Awesome blog gwen

Nov 28, 2011 @ 08:38:10

So wait, does this then have a bottom part? So I could technically put something like this out on our balcony?