Today’s ponderings

Just a quick post from me today — I know I said I’d do a garden update, but after spending a lot of time outside in the sun today, I just want to snuggle with cats and watch the new SoHo channel on Sky.  They’re playing A Game of Thrones! Expect mucho garden pictures tomorrow, I promise.

Here is what I’ve been pondering today:

Should I keep blogging every day?

Yesterday was the last day of the Ultimate Blog Challenge.  I enjoyed the challenge, and completed my 31 posts, but I can’t help but feel that the challenge was aimed at bloggers who run businesses.

Even though my blog isn’t probably what that challenge was created for, I did enjoy blogging every day when I could, so this month, I’ve decided to give NaBloPoMo a try.  National Blog Posting Month was originally in November, but it happens every month, so it’s something I can stick with, I guess?  The community there looks much more varied and I think I’ll like it a lot more, and if you do post every day in November, there are prizes to be won! Awesomesauce.

I guess I don’t have to think about making that decision anymore, since it was settled when I wrote the second paragraph.

Should I put Mr. Courgette in the raised garden bed?

Mr. Courgette is doing well in his pot on the back patio, but a slug got to one of his leaves (or perhaps snail…I’ve seen heaps in the compost bin).  I’m wondering if he’s big enough for me to put in the raised garden bed without fear of him being plantnapped. I think he won’t be vulnerable to slugs & snails in the garden bed, as it’s surrounded by gravel and they apparently don’t like it?

I have compared him with a picture of Ms. Courgette when I put her in the garden bed, and she looks to be a bit bigger than he was, so maybe I’ll wait.  I’m still not sure.  The plantnappers haven’t been back, as far as we can tell.

I shall mull this one over tonight, and decide tomorrow.

Should I move this blog to my own site/server set up?

I would love to hear from more experienced bloggers about this.  Obviously I’ve only just started blogging, so I’m not really planning on moving anywhere just yet, but it would be nice hearing what the pros and cons are from bloggers who have had blogs on wordpress/blogspot/etc. and moved their blogs to their own websites.

I think the main reason I’m considering it is because I’d love to one day be able to have the kind of blog that supports itself somehow.  I guess I’d have to tie myself down to a narrower subject matter for that, but one can dream?

I would also like a bit more freedom when it comes to what’s actually on the sidebars of my blog, and the design, too.

What have you been pondering lately? Care to give me any advice on my ponderings? :)

Nov 01, 2011 @ 20:18:27

Woohoo good on you. I enjoyed posting everyday too so I’m going to join you in November NaBloPoMo as well. Partners in crime!! Thanks for letting me (us all) know about this. Can’t wait to see photos of Mr Courgette! (you’re so funny). I often wonder if I should move to my own webpage too but I like the easy of blogspot use so for now I’ve decided to stay there.

Nov 02, 2011 @ 22:48:12

Just so you know, the prize part is only for folks in the US XD So far there are over 1000 blogs on the blogroll for November NaBloPoMo — so there will be plenty to read!

2. Bridget
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 21:58:18

I did my own blog setup on WordPress…I can’t praise it highly enough. I can make any changes I want…template…what widgets to have etc, easily.

3. Emma - Craving Fresh
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 14:16:26

I’m on Blogger – and would like to cross over to WordPress but don’t even have the time to think about it right now. I’d love some tech whiz to come and do it for me. If only I know someone like that.

Nov 02, 2011 @ 22:45:23

WordPress has an “import” feature, so maybe it wouldn’t be too hard? It might be good to have a play with it (like make a test blog and import yours) to see how hard it would be…good luck! I really am liking WordPress so far.

Nov 02, 2011 @ 17:09:55

Gee, thanks gwen. Now I am doing NaBloPoMo. Haha, you are a bad influence. I would say that you should keep Mr. Courgette out of the bed for just a little bit longer. Maybe play it safe until he is at least bigger than his girlfriend, that he never got to meet?

Nov 02, 2011 @ 22:44:25

I just realized NaBloPoMo prizes are only for US residents only. Sadface!! Yeah, I’m keeping Mr. Courgette out of the bed for a bit more! xD

5. Carolina HeartStrings
    Nov 03, 2011 @ 03:46:29

Questions 1 & 3: (as for Mr. Courgette, I believe that is a zuchini here… and I have a brown thumb and won’t comment)

1- Checked out that blogging site and todays question about last meal is very depressing. If I was about to eat my last meal I think I’d be too depressed to eat. As for daily blogging, well on one hand it’s good to practice and hone your writing skills, and establish good habits. But the “forcing” of something that should be creative and fun kind of rubs me the wrong way. We post daily but have a back log of stuff that we write when the mood strikes. Plus some of it is recipes, etc. which doesn’t require much creative writing.

3. Good questions. Tammie’s hubby is the IT guy and we are always thinking ahead about stuff too. Will be interested to see what kind of responses YOU get.

Nov 03, 2011 @ 08:30:22

The NaBloPoMo prompts are the same as the UBC — they provide prompts for you to take or leave :) So there’s no ‘forcing’ of anything there? Not sure where you got that from!

Obviously, I didn’t take that one! I didn’t do any of Michelle’s, either. I think they’re there for folks who just can’t figure out what to write about each day. Usually I can come up with something!

• boyssmell
        Nov 03, 2011 @ 12:01:47

I think she might have meant that if you do NaBloPoMo then you have to write a blog per day, even if you feel uninspired. Not that you have to use their topics. Naturally, you can just not blog, but then I’d feel disappointed with myself.

This is something that I am worried about, because sometimes Fiance is boring and gives me nothing to write about.