Who needs kids when you’ve got cats?

That’s the crazy cat lady motto, sad but true.

Beware the second photo — if you don’t like blood, don’t scroll down.

I came home from Wellington last night after a lovely trip to find a Winters on the front porch.  He was sitting very handsomely, but not putting any weight on his right front paw.  It’s the same paw he had to get stitches in a few months ago.  The same paw he’s torn out his dewclaw on.  It’s just a troublesome paw.

Winters' foot

Expensive cat is expensive

I couldn’t actually see anything wrong with it, but when I compared it to the other one by feel, he had a large amount of swelling between his dew claw and the rest of his toes.  Siiiiigh.

I made an appointment for him first thing this morning, and lots of money later, we have a Winters who is feeling much better.  He sort of looks like Frankenstein’s monster, though.  Fitting, with it being Halloween and all!

It was an abscess, so the vet knocked him out and gave it a thorough flush/clean.  He had a really high temperature as well, so he got a shot of antibiotics.  I get to play nurse and rinse it twice a day with salt water, if I think it needs it…hopefully it’ll drain and dry out soon.  And thank goodness there are no stitches or drainage tubes…he is really good at pulling those out, even with an e-collar of d00m on.

We’re back in for a follow up in 3 days.  It could be a lot worse, so I’m not complaining.  I love our kitties, and if it’s within my means to fix them, I will.

Not a lucky foot.

Not a lucky foot.

At least they cleaned his teeth at the same time and didn’t charge me for it.  I really do like this vet office.  They are wonderful.

Mini garden update:  Ben didn’t kill anything in the garden while I was gone!  I’ll do a full garden update tomorrow.

It actually looks like a garden now! Hurray!

Have you had any expensive vet bills lately?  I really hope not! <3 They are no fun.

1. Debi Walter
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 01:32:12

Aw, poor Winter. We had a kitty who looked just like him named Bunny but she was manx (no tail). Sadly she got feline leukemia and had to be put down, but the memories our children made with her are priceless. Beautiful kitty and so sorry about the sore paw.
    Debi

2. Dianne Jones
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 05:54:36

I love cats too! I think my neighbours probably call me the crazy English cat lady unfortunately here in turkey they do not look after their animals and there are lots of strays I feed as may as i can.
    Hope Winters is feeling better soon

Nov 01, 2011 @ 07:04:55

Poor kitty.

4. Frogdancer
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 09:04:30

Cleaning teeth in expensive, as are extractions. That vet is a gem!

Nov 02, 2011 @ 22:49:49

I think it was him taking pity on my tears at the amount it would already cost. They were silent tears, but tears nonetheless. They had to knock him out anyway, so he said they’d do it for free. He was lovely!

5. Emma - Craving Fresh
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 14:58:10

You’re a good cat mummy! Glad your garden survived your absence. It was nice seeing you in Wellington, even if briefly!

Nov 02, 2011 @ 22:48:55

It was lovely to see you, too! I was surprised Ben didn’t kill anything, tbh. He’s usually not the most detail-oriented dude on the planet.

6. yashikibuta
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 04:56:04

Aww, hope Winter is ok now. These past few weeks we’ve been in and out of the vet too because we just had puppies. since it’s our first time as puppy grannies, we didn’t know what to do so our little Angel gave birth at the animal hospital. it was normal delivery but the bill still hurt our wallet. As long as they are all healthy, we’re good to spend that money.