October Bloom Day 2011

Alana from Ramblin’ with AM left me a comment yesterday in a post where I asked if anyone knew any good gardening blogs I could follow from gardeners here in the Southern Hemisphere.  Her comment pointed me to May Dreams Gardens’ Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day posts! Thank you, Alana!

Basically, gardeners from all over the world post (on their own blogs) about whatever is blooming (or not blooming) in their garden on the 15th of every  month and then leave a comment on the monthly blog post over at May Dreams Gardens :)  Yay for finding more gardening blogs!

It’s already the 15th here, and the October post is already up over on May Dreams Gardens, so I’m going to post what’s going on in my garden :)  If you have a gardening blog & want to network with other gardeners, you should check it out!

Today was a weird sort of day, weather-wise.  It looked like it was going to rain, but then the sun would come out.  Then it would go back to looking like it was going to rain.  We did get about 20 seconds worth of rain, but it must just be blowing through.

Nothing is actually blooming in my garden yet, since it’s only the early days of spring, so I’ll show you what’s sprouting instead! :)

Nemophilia sprouts

Out-of-focus nemophilia sprouts

The camera decided our porch chairs were more interesting! :)

Nemophilia sprouts

In-focus nemophilia sprouts

I can’t wait till these bloom. I’ve got four different colors in my tire planters — baby blue-eye, penny black, snowstorm and five-spot.  I’m hoping they lure bees in to pollinate my veggies.

Japanese Maple

My first ever Japanese maple

I’ve always, always wanted to have a Japanese maple tree, and this house just so happens to have one in the back :)  She’s so pretty!  I think some of her lower branches might be dead as they’re not putting forth anything, but I’m not sure.  I need to read up on them, and possibly move her to a sunnier position.

Japanese maple

Wider shot of my Japanese maple

I still can’t believe we actually have one!

Royal gala apple tree

Tiny royal gala apple tree

Our little apple tree’s leaves are unfurling and are so pretty to see.  He (she?) is only about 6 inches tall right now, so I find it really adorable and precious :) That’s a lot of growing for just over a week or so! You can see the last picture I took here.

That’s pretty much all the new pictures I have to share :) If you haven’t read now & gwen before, most of my gardening posts have pictures in them. Please feel free to browse!

On an unrelated note: The plantnappers did not visit last night.  I am relieved. Very relieved!

To my gardening readers out there — anything blooming in your gardens? Will you be posting a GBBD post?

1. aprilvak
    Oct 15, 2011 @ 18:32:37

I’ve always wanted an apple tree. Whenever we buy a real house I’m definitely planting one. As always, love the pics and reading about your garden!

Oct 15, 2011 @ 21:48:30

I never thought I’d own a fruit tree, ever, but I think it’s cool how one day I can say we had this little tree from a wee seedling. Hopefully, anyway!

Thank you so much for reading — it helps knowing I’m not just talking to myself xD

Oct 15, 2011 @ 21:28:17

Cute plants there sweets. Thanks for letting us know about this cool series. I rushed outside and took some photos before it got dark. Mentioned you again too http://nzecochick.blogspot.com/2011/10/october-bloom-day.html hope you don’t mind. M xx

3. gwen
    Oct 15, 2011 @ 21:37:02

I’m glad you posted a GBBD post, too! Definitely don’t mind a mention, thank you so much for even taking the time! <3

4. Nell Jean
    Oct 16, 2011 @ 02:55:22

Spring is definitely on its way to your garden despite plantnappers. Here I would suspect a wild animal but they don’t take the label and are less neat when they dig.

Oct 16, 2011 @ 20:17:30

We don’t really have plantnapping animals, since we’re in the city and there are no racoons in NZ, but I did consider a silly dog for a minute or two until I realized pots were missing, too! :)

5. Cat
    Oct 16, 2011 @ 03:56:21

Welcome to GBBD and thanks for stopping by and leaving such a thoughtful comment ;) I’m a maple fanatic too and over the years have begun quite a collection! Here they need lots of shade from our harsh summer sun but otherwise they do pretty well. I can appreciate how your heart soared at having one in your own garden. Good luck with your spring sprouts!

6. HolleyGarden
    Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:25:18

Happy GBBD! Yes, I am posting my blooms. I love your little sprouts! So exciting when they break ground. Such promise! Love your Japanese maple. I’ve killed several, so now I just admire. But, oh, I wish I had one!

Oct 16, 2011 @ 20:16:35

Happy GBBD to you as well! I think this maple hasn’t had anyone looking after it in a while, I can see some branches definitely need pruning. Fingers crossed I don’t kill it xD Lol

7. Carolyn @ Carolyns Shade Gardens
    Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:03:16

Funny to read GBSproutD–it’s hard for us northern gardeners to post on GBBD in the winter. Happy GBBD.

8. Alana Mautone (@RamblinGarden)
    Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:20:42

Welcome to GBBD and I’m glad I was able to help with your quest for NZ garden bloggers. It’s nice seeing the beginnings of spring as the wind howls outside here in upstate NY, United States- a coming attraction of winter. I can’t believe your plantnapper, either – how terrible! Happy GBBD and may your Japanese Maple and Gala apple thrive.

9. Scott Weber
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 11:04:39

Lovely post…that patch of seedlings will look amazing in a few months…and congrats on the Japanese Maple…they are so lovely!

10. Trackback: October Bloom Day | NZ Ecochick