An old but new treasure

It’s probably not that old, but it’s definitely not brand new! :)

I found myself a jewelery box today.  I’ve been looking for one for ages, really, but I haven’t seen any on trademe that have really tickled my fancy, and I didn’t really like the thought of buying a brand new one.  Ben didn’t seem confident in finding one I’d like, either, so I’d given up hope that he’d ever buy me one.

There’s this little second-hand boutique shop across from the post office.  The things in there are usually really overpriced (in my opinion) and often in need of repair or cleaning.  I think the real finds there are in vintage clothing, but I don’t really do vintage clothing, so I don’t go in often.

Something told me to stop in today, though and I’m glad I did, because I came home with this:

Wooden jewelry box

It seems to be inlaid with a different kind of wood on the inside that has a really nice smell to it. It reminds me of cedar, but I don’t think it is cedar.

Wooden jewelry box

I really am more of a cat person, but the carvings are really pretty, so I decided to take it home.

The top was covered in dust, so I picked up a cheap soft toothbrush on the way home from the grocery store and got most of it off. The color of the wood really came up when I did that. I might need to oil it a bit? Will have to google!

Leon helped by testing the toothbrush out for me:

Leon testing a toothbrush

Damara is never far away, either.  You can sort of see from that picture how much dust was on the top of the box.  It was impressive!

The inside is just plain, unvarnished wood, so I’ll probably line the bottom with a silk handkerchief or something to nestle my not very large jewelery collection in, but at least I have something now :) I really like it.

Have you gotten yourself anything lately?

1. Helena Alford
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 22:41:48

How pretty! I love going into second hand shops and finding beautiful little trinkets!

2. Carolina HeartStrings
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 23:50:33

This is lovely. Try some felt or other soft, stiff material, perhaps backed with cardboard if necc to line the bottom and sides. What a great find!

3. Katrina
    Oct 14, 2011 @ 00:25:23

I had one similar to that….gave it to a friends daughter

4. karenish
    Oct 14, 2011 @ 04:41:52

I love when I find something surprising like that when I least expect it! I haven’t been to the local Goodwill in a while, but have been feeling like I should probably stop in. Half my house is furnished from that place. :)

5. Frogdancer
    Oct 14, 2011 @ 08:51:53

I’ve got a jewelry box very similar to this that my boyfriend gave me when I was 19. MANY years later I still use it.

Oct 14, 2011 @ 12:17:12

That’s lovely. I love second hand. I just bought John a super cute wooden trike. So excited these are hard to find. Don’t you just LOVE trade me? I love the photo of Leon. that’s how John looks when we brush his teeth. Ha haM xx

7. gwen
    Oct 14, 2011 @ 12:23:27

I do love anything and everything secondhand (within reason) and tradme is an obsession of mine that I have to curb with blogging lol!

8. Lurking N3k0
    Oct 14, 2011 @ 15:32:05

It is a lovely box, gwen! But when I zoomed in on that pic to see the dust (was reading on my phone, and the dust wasn’t as obvious on it) as you suggested, I noticed instead the books on the shelf. Who is the Jordan fan? You, or hubby? :)

Oct 14, 2011 @ 17:40:54

Lol both of us, really. I started reading them first (currently stalled on the 4th book) and Ben is reading the second one now. I got sort of bored with the last one, as the first three all end the same way…

9. niftythriftygoodwill
    Oct 16, 2011 @ 19:03:57

gorgeous gorgeous box. i love it!