A much needed lazy day

After writing yesterday’s post where I mentioned I need to schedule some down time for myself, today’s turned out to be that much needed downtime.

Strawberry

Strawberry

On the garden front, a couple days ago I managed to re-pot the strawberry plants that were here when we moved in.  I mixed in some blood & bone powder with their soil, and put one of the store-bought plants in with them.  Now I just need to pop the other one from the store into it’s own pot and they’ll be done.

I also forgot to write that I put down a row of carrot seed & spring onion seed in the raised with my peas & beans are living.

I wanted to get the last of my herb seeds planted today, so yesterday I filled up these cool containers I have in preparation for those.  I might go do that when I’m done with this post, but it can probably wait until tomorrow.

Herb pots

Herb pots

I found a pack of herb seeds that somehow ended up at my house after we cleaned out the office when it was red-stickered on Boxing Day.  It has dill, oregano, chives, parsley, orange thyme and spicy globe basil seeds in it.  Hopefully some seeds are still viable in there!

My own parsley that I purchased this year hasn’t sprouted at all, and neither has my mini greek basil :(   Also, my red lettuce hasn’t sprouted sadly.   I ordered more mini greek basil seeds and also some basil bush seeds so I can have two different kinds of basil. If you can’t tell, I sort of love basil. If anyone knows of a basil room spray, please tell me!

Damara on her leash

Damara

Another task for tomorrow is scattering some purple poppy seeds around and finding a spot to plant some purple morning glory. I have no idea where to put them.

On the kitty front, I took Damara & Leon outside for a bit.  Leon was out for a good 20 min or so, but Damara was out for about 3 before she wanted to go back inside.

I put her back inside and Leon explored the back yard for a bit and then we went out to the front yard, where he met the neighbor from across the street who came over to see the “cat on a leash” spotted from his front window.

Leon

Leon

Leon also learned that he doesn’t like big scary cars, and I’m very happy about that.  Fear of cars is good.  The only downside to this leash training is that when we come back inside, Leon whines at the door for a good 15 minutes wanting to go back outside, and then has a hyper run around the house.  After that, he’ll come collapse on me for a nap, which is cute. :)

Tonight I’m looking forward to dinner & the Grey’s Anatomy season finale, even if I’ve already watched it.  Later on, I’m actually going to do some reading! Exciting times.

1. Shawnna Boles
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 19:44:42

Do you plan on canning, infusing oils, or making chutneys and such? Or are you only growing enough for a kitchen garden?

Before Famine Bunny ate everything in my garden, I had planned to dedicate half of my garden to snap beans and tomatoes for canning. Though, to be fair, I believe that Famine Bunny brought his friend Bambi over for dinner since I made sure to plant all of the veggies in the old dog pen and I took extra care to make sure that it was bunny proof. :-(

Oct 11, 2011 @ 23:32:39

I’ve got an abundance of tomatoes sprouting, and I think I want to try my hand at making homemade tomato sauce this year (what kiwis call ketchup). That’s a shame about those bunnies getting into your stuff!

I might infuse oils now that you’ve mentioned it! Must read up on that. Thanks for giving me the idea!

2. Helena Alford
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 20:23:12

Cat’s on a leash are adorably cute!

Oct 11, 2011 @ 23:33:09

Lol it’s pretty funny when I first got them both out, Leon went one way and Damara wanted to go in the opposite direction. I was stuck in the middle.

3. Lori Ferguson
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 01:43:13

Sounds like a perfect day! Downtime is so important.

Oct 12, 2011 @ 04:04:01

I am glad to hear that you are able to have a lovely conversation with your neighbors over your cute kitties! Maybe they will look out for you more often and hopefully no one will be able to get away with any future stealing? Also, here is to hoping your plants surprise you and say, “Hello,” soon!

Oct 14, 2011 @ 00:20:33

It was pretty funny! For some reason he thought I had six cats altogether, even though I said three times that I had four. I had to keep repeating myself. >.>

5. Heather @ Sweep. Sew. Stir.
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 06:55:59

It’s really impressive that your cats will tolerate a leash. I tried that once with my cats and they spent the entire time doing weird kitty yoga moves to escape.

Glad you got the downtime you needed!

Oct 14, 2011 @ 00:19:49

Lol Leon is a special case — he’s just so curious and wants to constantly be next to us, he doesn’t mind the harness or the leash. Damara is more of your normal cat and I think I need to get her accustomed to it more before we go outside again.

Oct 14, 2011 @ 12:49:10

Thanks for this post. I’ve linked you into you post today: http://nzecochick.blogspot.com/2011/10/free-range-bunny.html
    Re the basil spray I found this for you http://www.care2.com/greenliving/lavender-linen-water.html I thought you could just add basil instead of lavender. I was thinking just basil and vodka might work? Let me know M xx