Working from home

It’s really windy outside and I haven’t gotten to do anything new in the garden, so I thought I’d post about something a bit different.

I work for an kids’ virtual world site, and have been for just over a year now.  I’ve been working from home since the major earthquakes happened here last year (like many Christchchurch folks, I’d imagine) and it’s brought about some weird changes, some good and some bad. I know I am extremely lucky to still have a job after the earthquakes.

My helpers

My 'helpers'

The awesome:

I can (and sometimes do) go to work in my sweats & hoodie, or even my pajamas (win).

I can have whatever’s in my kitchen for lunch!

I get kitty cuddles whenever I want.

I’m home if we’re expecting something in the mail, although the couriers prefer banging so hard on our door (at 7am) that they make the dead bolt pop out and I can’t open the door until I find it (one of the charms of living in this house).  By that time they’re usually screaming down the block because they like to drive like maniacs.  I could write an entire post on that.  Maybe I will.

I don’t have to worry about annoying my coworkers by listening to music all day.  I find music helps me block out whatever noise Ben’s creating if he’s home while I’m working.

I can chuck loads of laundry through and get them hung out or pop them in the dryer during my shift.

I could seriously write about 34234984373 more things about how working from home is awesome, but I don’t want to make you jealous, so I won’t.

The not as awesome:

I have to actually plan trips out to places like the pharmacy, the grocery store, or the post office instead of just stopping there on the way to/from work.

Sometimes it’s hard to leave work at work, because it’s at home.  I have to physically get up from my computer when I’m done with work and go do something else so I’m not in work mode anymore.

I’m not walking as much as I used to.  I have started taking nightly walks, though. Winter stopped them for a bit, but now I have no excuse, really.

I don’t read as much as I used to.  I used to take the bus to work, so I had a good hour of reading a day if I read on the way to work and back. I have plenty of books to read, but now it always feels like I could be doing something else! I miss that hour of reading.  I used to really plow through the books when I didn’t work from home.

I have the latest George R. R. Martin book on my dresser and I can’t find time to read it.  That’s a major fail on my part.  I guess I’ll have to start scheduling myself reading time.  Stuff doesn’t get done unless it’s on a list these days!

My conclusion is, working from home is actually awesome.  The rest is just me whinging. WordPress, whinging is a real word.  If you live in New Zealand, anyway.

Have you noticed any unexpected changes happening in your life at the moment?

1. Emma (@cravingfresh)
    Oct 10, 2011 @ 22:24:14

I find it hard to switch off now that I’m at home all the time too. There’s always something that needs doing, and my own relaxation seems to take last priority.

On the whole though, I much prefer being at home with my girls to going out to a workplace every morning.

Oct 11, 2011 @ 13:19:45

Yeah, I’m always tidying or working on something that needs doing. I have to learn to just stop for a while and have some me time! I do love that I’m at home a lot, I really enjoy my work environment (love my little office area) and being able to see all the funny kitty antics happening.

2. Katrina
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 00:59:51

Oh I am so sharing this with a friend of mine…..we were joking this morning how she was sitting at her computer working and still hadn’t got round to putting her jeans on

Oct 11, 2011 @ 13:18:44

Lol yes, sometimes I do start work in pajamas and then I get dressed about 30 min later! xD I do make an effort to be up and dressed and ready for work most of the time, though, I swear!

Oct 11, 2011 @ 17:55:16

I am officially having to start getting used to working all day, instead of sleeping and watching tv all day, again. I got so used to having nothing to do (4ish months) so now it will be strange to be busy again, so I’m happy. But I don’t want to have to wake up early and deal with unruly kids who think they can get away with things, just because I’m a sub. Ahh, catch 22. But, I’d say you’re pretty lucky. Best of both worlds!

4. tina
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 23:55:09

I’ve been working from home over 9 years now. I can’t imagine doing it any other way. Fortunately, I have moved my business out of the house so that I have a separate production and office space. (i have a small soap and body care business).

AND I am up early to catch a few words of Games of Thrones before my day starts! SO I get not having time to read …