Don’t need no handyman

Sexist, Google. Sexist.

Sexist, Google. Sexist.

I got up today on time, made my coffee and a bagel and sat down for work. A few minutes into work, decided to put my seed trays out on the back patio because it was blindingly bright outside! While I was in the bathroom getting them, I saw Ben had daringly left a pile of clothes for me to wash. He’s so sweet like that.

I shoved them into the washing machine and slammed the door on the washer shut and it sounded funny….

The darn pin that clicks the door shut broke again! It’s a front-loading machine. I love this washing machine (it’s my first and only washing machine).

Last time this happened, I called a repairman and he came and charged me $80 for an hour’s worth of work or something ridiculous like that. He didn’t actually fix the damn thing, he jerry-rigged it until he could order the part that had broken. The part that broke originally was going to cost me another $170 dollars to fix, so I kindly declined! I knew it would break again eventually, but I watched him fix it, so I knew I could manage without buying the new part.

Today was the day, so I got my trusty screwdriver out, took the door off the machine, popped the door casing open and voilà! Fixed. No handyman needed. No repair bill.

If you need something fixed, I work for chocolate, wine,  coffee, and hugs.

1. Sylvia Bryden
    Oct 09, 2011 @ 22:13:32

Love it!! I do that all te time with things – watch and learn! That’s how I learned all my P.C. stuff and now build web sites, presentations etc. Saved myself thousands of pounds!! Today’s Blog for example – http://transformationyourgift.com/general/347/

Oct 09, 2011 @ 22:21:38

Hey there! I just finished reading your love is the key post — it has a really good message within :) It’s amazing what we can do when we’re able to watch and learn, isn’t it?

2. Shawnna Boles
    Oct 10, 2011 @ 04:35:56

I love this!

A few days ago, my husband decided to change the battery in the car. After seeing him call down to our neighbor to help him after he’d spent five hours trying to remove the old battery, I finally went outside and changed the battery myself. When I was done, he said, “I would have asked you to do it, but I didn’t want you to mess up your nails.” I waved my hand at him and responded with, “I didn’t scratch, chip, or break anything. You’re forgetting one of my top rules, darling. Always learn to do it yourself before you pay someone else to do it for you. You can bolt the mount on now, because I have to go and finish the creamed corn.”

My grandmother used to say that men are fragile and that women should let them do things since it’s in their nature to try to fix things for us, but that we should step in when they start to bumble around or take too long. According to her, “Women should know how to do everything that men can do, and men should know how to do everything that women can do. Boys need to learn to cook and sew on buttons. Girls need to know how to fix the toilet and change the oil in the car.” She was an intelligent woman, and as close to a feminist as an old southern woman could be, heh.

3. Heather @ Sweep. Sew. Stir.
    Oct 10, 2011 @ 07:23:50

Well done! I use Google all the time to figure out how to fix things in my home. There are so many step-by-step instructions and how-to videos. And a lot of the time, it’s just a simple fix that doesn’t required a professional at all. I’ve recently fixed the dishwasher, garbage disposal, and the cappuccino maker!

Oct 10, 2011 @ 18:33:14

Oh! Dishwasher! That’s the next thing I need to fix. Sadly the model we have is quite obscure…or something. I tried googling the manual for it and couldn’t find it no matter how hard I tried xD

Sounds like you’re handier than I am!

Oct 10, 2011 @ 08:47:57

Love this post. Ha ha you’re so funny. Where in NZ are you?

5. Connie
    Oct 10, 2011 @ 09:17:39

Lol, awesome job doing it yourself! Far better to watch and learn than shell out money to someone else for the same thing!!