Living on the wrong end of the Earth

This isn’t meant to be ranty, I swear.  I really can’t complain!  I love that spring is finally here.

Sometimes I just really feel like I’m living on the wrong end of the Earth.  Being from the Northern Hemisphere and then moving to the Southern Hemisphere really screws with your body/brain relationship.

Right now, my brain knows it’s the beginning of October.  To my brain, this means my brother’s birthday is today (happy birthday, bro!).  It means Halloween/ Samhain is coming! Halloween is my favorite holiday!  It means my brain thinks after that will soon follow Thanksgiving and then Christmas/ Yule (it’s less than 12 weeks away now, people).  My brain is a pretty smart cookie.

But my body is telling my brain that she’s wrong.  My body is saying, “Hey! We just had Ostara! It’s not time for Halloween!  You need leaves and harvests for Halloween.  This isn’t right!  There are cherry blossoms out and buds on things.  Halloween is six months away!”

You’d think after almost 7 years in the Southern Hemisphere that I’d be used to this by now, but it throws me for a loop every time. While so many of my friends and family are commenting on the pretty colors of leaves changing and getting their long-sleeved shirts out, my world is the complete opposite.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy that I’m on the other side of winter now!  I just miss having Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas being in the colder months.  And winter here in NZ is pretty bleak with no holidays to help it along.  I understand why so many people have mid-winter dinners here, or Christmas in June!

A totally new area of (gentle) disappointment for me is that I’m having trouble finding many New Zealand gardening blogs (I’ve found two great ones so far – Craving Fresh & NZ Ecochick) to read and all the American & British ones on my list are all harvesting their last summer crops and getting their gardens ready for autumn.  I do love the tips I’m getting, but I can’t use them for another six months!  Talk about planning!  At least I’ll have learned a lot about that by the time fall comes here again.  I learned about leafmould today. I can’t wait to make some in the fall!

Do you know of any good kiwi gardening blogs out there?

Picture credit

1. Katrina
    Oct 07, 2011 @ 23:59:51

2. gwen
    Oct 08, 2011 @ 00:14:57

Hey, Katrina! I have looked at those links in results from my google search of “new zealand garden blogs” and they’re not really what I’m after, I”m afraid. I’m looking for very active home-gardening blogs! :) Blogs that are actually current. Thanks very much for trying to help, though!

3. gardeningkiwi
    Oct 08, 2011 @ 08:23:31

Hi Gwen. I have been reading your blog for a while now (from the tag surfer option) and really enjoy it! Keep it up. I am in NZ at the very top of the Waikato. I can recommend an “interesting site” full of Blogs. The seed company Yates is running its 3rd challenge to win $1000, through blogging about the garden. Most people are blogging daily and a lot of people are back for a 3rd season – there are even 4 previous winners (including me) – who aren’t trying to win – because it is a nice place to hang out – heaps of support etc, If you want to enter it is the last day for registration – but if not you can still go there and read the blogs and make comments and vote for your favourites! http://www.yates.co.nz/vegie-challenge/spring-2011. Hope this is helpful to you. Cheers Sarah :o)

Oct 08, 2011 @ 11:41:31

I can’t even imagine how you handle the seasons. The seasons are what help make these next coming holidays the best. They are the warm cozy holidays when you want to drink warm things and be merry, and I would find that really hard to do when it’s 80 outside. I give you props for being able to manage it.Plus, no one wants to eat a heavy meal during the beginning of summer. Maybe you can just decorate the outside of your house like it is fall. Spray paint the leaves, perhaps? :P

5. karenish
    Oct 10, 2011 @ 17:58:17

See, this is something I have been giving a fair amount of thought to over the last couple of days — how we have these socialized understanding about seasons and holidays based on Northern European traditions — which are lovely, truly, but aren’t really appropriate outside of similar climates.

I live in Northern California, and although we are moving into Autumn here, it’s our own version of such, and while others may be putting their gardens to bed, we just change our approach and keep gardening.

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to take that socialized understanding and turn it on its head by going to the Southern Hemisphere.

Oct 10, 2011 @ 17:59:40

It can be really difficult! I do try to celebrate seasonal holidays 6 months later than usual, when the seasons feel right :)

6. Alana Mautone (@RamblinGarden)
    Oct 15, 2011 @ 11:24:57

On October 15 you may want to consider visiting May Dreams Garden http://www.maydreamsgardens.com/ which has a monthly Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. I participate, it’s fun, and I believe there are NZ garden bloggers who participate. I have never been off the North American continent and Austrailia/NZ has always fascinated me. I look forward to reading more of your blog and – your posts if you participate in GBBD!