My neighbors help me lose weight

On Sunday, I made a cake on my lunch break, along with getting my slow cooker full. This is one of the reasons why I love working from home! I meant to make the cake on Saturday night, but we had no eggs (oops). Ben was having a really crap shift and I wanted to cheer him up with something nice.

I managed to go to the store before work, like a civilized person. I know that sounds really nice and all, but the reality was I set my alarm wrong on my phone, and got up in a panic, thinking I was late for work. Turns out it was 8:55am and not 9:55am! :) So, after initial heart attack mode, the trip to the store was nice. And hot. It was actually hot out, for the first time this season.

Because I knew I’d now be making the cake on my lunch break, I decided to cheat. I bought a cake in a box. Sue me. Yes, I know I used to work in kitchens. That does not mean I enjoy baking cakes from scratch. When I have time, I do, but when I don’t, or can’t be bothered, I buy no-fail cake mix. It tastes good, it always rises and it’s super easy. And, they were on sale.

So, yeah. Super fast cake, barely any measuring needed. The result:

No fail cake

Cheer up Ben cake

But really, that’s not what I wanted to write about. I decided that since I want to lose weight and Ben doesn’t want to gain any more weight, I would take half this cake to the neighbors behind us, since they were having a barbecue and I knew they were home. Plus, the husband of the family was super awesome to me the day after we moved in here in June, when the last major aftershocks struck. He let me have a pair of gloves so I could clean up all the glass from our exploding fish & turtle tanks.

I’ve always believed you should know your neighbors, and taking a cake was the perfect way to say thank you for the gloves! :) I was a bit nervous because I’ve never really talked to them much so I did stutter on a few words (I have no idea why! It was weird). On Monday, the wife brought us a $10 gift certificate to a local restaurant! It was very nice and totally unexpected, and now I feel the need to take them more things, because a gift war has begun.

I think I want to take the guy across the street something next, but I’m not sure what he’d actually like. Cookies maybe? Cookies don’t last long in this house.

Perhaps I can get the whole block eating our sweets so I don’t eat them all.

1. Nowandguy
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 19:54:26

That’s nice Gwenny, you can bring me some treats

2. Nowandguy
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 20:20:26

I am keen for that anytime Gwen!!!

3. Beth
    Oct 06, 2011 @ 01:28:16

Everybody loves cookies! And don’t worry, no one is judging you about the cake. And no one is allowed to. May I ask what the little guys on to of the cake are? I’m lovin the panda one :)

Oct 07, 2011 @ 21:50:03

They’re these little sugar paste decorations I found at the store. It was either the jungle pack or the princess pack. I probably should’ve got the princess pack, come to think of it…

4. rebeccazerjav
    Oct 06, 2011 @ 01:39:07

lol, now I wish I was your neighbor!! But yea..good thing I’m not because I would eat everything!

I’m glad you know your neighbors – I think that’s important for any good neighborhood!! We only know our back neighbors. A gift war huh? That sounds like a good plan.. *evil laugh*

Oct 06, 2011 @ 10:20:10

It’s not really common for folks to talk to their neighbors here, sadly! Unless you’re older, folks keep to themselves a lot.

Gift wars are quite fun xD

5. Emma
    Oct 10, 2011 @ 05:17:18

I figure even though I’m reading this a few days late, I can still comment, right!? XD

I love baking things for people! Especially when it means I don’t eat everything myself. I shall have to explore this neighbour giving venture!