Crazy cat lady warning: My furkids

Anyone who knows me knows how much my cats mean to me. I’ve never lived in a house without a cat during my life. My kitties have  helped me through some crap times and they’re really my babies. If you’re not a cat person, I forgive you. You can skip to the next gardening or cooking post!

From oldest to youngest:

Moose will be … 5 years old this October! Holy moly, where does time go? He is a really floppy, melty, koala-clinging cat when you get his motor going. Usually he prefers being by himself. The kittens annoy him, so he spends a lot of time in Ben’s office or outside, unless I can convince him to come have quiet cuddles before bed. He’s one of those cats who makes you feel like you really deserve a purr if you get one out of him. I really need to get him in for a dental cleaning, which will hopefully be happening next month some time.

Winters will be 4 years old this October (noticing a pattern here?) and is the daddy cat of the house. When we got Zeus, our first manx kitten, Winters was the first one to break down and give the little guy baths. He was the first to give our current manx kittens baths as well. Winters is massive. I think he weighs 12-13 lbs or something like that. But he’s not fat. Really. The vets have always told us he’s big-boned! Since we’ve moved to this house, he’s taken to pouncing on Moose unexpectedly, and coming back with tufts of fur. He’s usually a gentleman, but could be becoming a bit of a bully? He can, and often does, purr for an hour before he falls asleep.

And lastly, the kittens. They’re moving into teenager territory now, at 7 months old:

Damara and Leon (click on their picture for a bigger view). We were only supposed to get one of them, but a week after we adopted Damara, Leon still needed a home and we couldn’t say no! I am so glad we got the both of them. They keep each other occupied so they don’t bother the big cats (as much anyway) and when we’re not home, they don’t get lonely. We really should have always gotten our cats in pairs.  A lot of shelters won’t adopt out single kittens now unless you have a youngish cat in your home already for these reasons.

Damara is really quiet and cautious. Leon is loud and an outgoing cuddle-bug. He will offer you his tummy for scratches without attacking your hand.  Both have been known to sleep in a make-shift sling while I work. Yes, I k now that’s sort of crazy. They’re really just what I need, though, after we lost Zeus so suddenly.

Current kitty news: We’re introducing the kittens to wearing a harness and going outside on a leash. I won’t say we’re training them to walk on a leash, because we’re actually not going to walk them anywhere other than the yard. This way they can still get outside, but I don’t have to worry about them getting run over by a car. :) I’ll keep you guys updated on how that goes lol. I think Leon will take to it more quickly than Damara, since he’s a bit more fearless than she is.

Tell me about your furkids! Link me to pictures. I love meeting kitties :)

1. Lynne Hanlon
    Sep 18, 2011 @ 01:56:34

I absolutely LOVE this, Gwen!!! We have four kitties… one lives with my mom & dad though because they love her and didn’t want us to take her when we moved. Her name is Isabel…named after my mom’s middle name and because we got her right before Hurricane Isabel. She is part tabby and part siamese… blue eyes & no tail! Then we have Chase… who I chased for 4 days… as a ferrell kitten. He is a grey tabby and soooo sweet. Then the twins… Al & Queda… lol Dexter Morgan and Ruby are 2 1/2 and Craaazy!! Dexter is mine… he is constantly stalking me… screams like a banshee if I go outside without him. He goes on long walks with me and our dog Raven. It is hilarious! Ruby is more Carol’s cat… always with her. We love our babies!!! Yours are sooo beautiful and I really enjoyed reading about them! I love you and miss you and am so happy I am able to stay connected through facebook and here!!

• Gwen
      Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:06:26

Yay kitty stories! You always had the best names for your cats :) Thank you so much for reading and commenting and I’m super happy I can hear about what’s going on in your life through facebook too. I really miss you!

Sep 18, 2011 @ 04:50:02

D’awww, I love me some kitties!! And instead of introducing kitties you already know, I shall share some awesome news that Bobby told me yesterday! Although none of this may ever happen, at least he’s thinking about it?

Bobby is very, very, very allergic to cats. But I am more a cat person than a dog person, especially since I know I’d be the one taking care of the dog and I don’t want a kid right now. He said he would do some research and maybe I’d get a kitty for Christmas. I told him I already have one, but he said for Cleveland. Which is true, I could never take Noir away from her big ‘ol house and play/attack time with Delilah. She would be too lonely. Even though sometimes I think she wouldn’t care, as long as she always got to be with me. But then I’d feel bad for Delilah.

/endbook.

• Gwen
      Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:07:32

Woot! You can tell Bobby that they have good medicine these days…and that people quickly become less allergic to their cats, even if they are still somewhat allergice. I’m still allergic to cats, definitely. Does me waking up with a stuffy nose and possible itchy eyes in the morning mean I don’t want to have cats? Hell no. Hope you guys get one! <3

3. Daph
    Sep 18, 2011 @ 18:29:39

Why hello, furry children! I’m pretty sure I’ve never actually been properly introduced to all of them, gwen, I’m glad I finally got to meet them! Although seeing them makes me quite sad I don’t have my own cat anymore, but I always love hearing about other peoples’ babies! I love Winters’ very authoritative stare, too :D

• Gwen
      Sep 18, 2011 @ 18:32:33

*waves furry paws at you while ignoring angry kitty stares* They wave back! :D We hope you get your own cat again someday soon <3 Thank you so much for subscribing and I can't wait to read all of your blog posts, lady!

4. Connie Krebs
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 02:32:05

hi there! we have three kitties of our own- a tiger named Bo who is HUGE, a pretty black and white named Dottie, and then a 9 week old kitten named Cole who looks like a mix between the other two (his mama was hit by a car and a neighbor found the abandoned litter) I am realizing that he is really a 3 year old boy on a constant sugar high! It is nuts!
    Anyhow, nice to discover your blog!

5. Erin B
    Sep 27, 2011 @ 01:12:21

Hey Gwen, nawwww your kitties are so cute! We have two at our place, Lily and Max. Lily (aka. Princess Squeak) is the older of the two and quite highly strung, she loves a cuddle and constant human contact. Max is almost 2 and is still quite playful, he’s a bit more of a loner but still loves a cuddle.

We border on crazy cat people too, it’s a good thing!

Links to some pics of our babies: http://wp.me/p1vfWQ-2k & http://wp.me/p1vfWQ-6k

• Gwen
      Sep 27, 2011 @ 01:16:14

Your furkids are gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing them. I am quite jealous of your camera — you have such great pictures on your blog!